1.What does the cremation represent?
The cremation of bodies of deceased is done in new modern incinerators in the crematorium in the city of Sofia. In order to perform the cremation, it is necessary that the body is put in an wooden coffin and the coffin shall not have any metal parts, objects and materials. The burning process in the incinerators is entirely automated and does not enable the entering of more than one coffin. The temperature at which the body burns is around 800°-1000°С. The average duration of one cremation is approximately 70 minutes. After the termination of the burning process, the bones are cooled, grinded and the ashes are closed in an urn.
2.When is the cremation performed?
The cremation is performed up to 48 hours at latest after the receiving of the deceased in the crematorium and if all necessary documents for its performance are received and examined.
3.What are the necessary documents for the performance of a cremation?
- Copy-excerpt of Death certificate.
- Certificate for cremation (permit) by the physician who has established the death by which he declares that there are no data for violent death and allows the body to be cremated (Attached sample);
- Declaration from the closest heir in descending order in direct line of descendance (Attached sample) defining the desire for the performance of a cremation and a copy of its identity document; Note: The hereditary relation shall be obligatory certified by the submission of a copy of a document for ties of relationship: marriage certificate, birth certificate or heir certificate.
4.Where can the urn with the ashes of the deceased be buried?
The urn with the ashes of the deceased, according to the effective Regulation No. 2 of the Metropolitan Municipality, can be laid in a grave or in an urn wall in any cemitery on the territory of the country.
- the laying of an urn on the territory of the cemiteries in Sofia is performed by the officers of the MC „Cemiteries" in presence of the relatives of the deceased after the cemitery administration has given the right of use of the graveplot/urn niche.
- the laying of an urn on the territory of the cemiteries in the country is performed only after the submission in the administration of the crematorium of a certificate – original, from the manager of the cemiteries of the respective town that the urn with the ashes will be laid in the respective cemitery.
5.Could the relatives of the deceased observe the process of cremation?
For the first time in our country a possibility is provided for observation in a special hall for presence of the relatives of the deceased. The purpose is to show and strengthen the position in the consciousness of the society that the cremation is an accessible and dignified way for separation with a dear person.
6.Could pets be cremated?
No, the burning of animals is done only in ecarisages. At this stage on the territory of the country there has not yet been constructed a crematorium for animals.